The MCE OptiBay Hard Drive replaces the internal SuperDrive of your Mac mini with a high performance hard drive or SSD (Solid State Disk) providing up to 2 TB of additional internal storage capacity!
*IMPORTANT: To determine which Mac mini you have go to "About This Mac" under the Apple menu in the upper left corner of your screen. (You are on your Mac, aren't you?) In the window that appears please verify the type of Memory you have and make the appropriate selection in the "To be installed into" field above.
Optical Drive Options
In order to maintain the CD/DVD read/write functionality of the original internal optical drive replaced by the OptiBay Hard Drive, you can choose to include a Portable USB 2.0 Optical Drive Enclosure Kit into which you can install the SuperDrive you removed from your Mac mini. This slim external USB 2.0 enclosure transforms your optical drive into a bootable, bus-powered SuperDrive just as compatible with iTunes, iDVD and Finder Burning as before. And you're able to use this drive when and where you need it.
You can also choose the MCE External DVD-/+R/RW USB 2.0/eSATA "SuperDrive" to instead have the functionality of a higher-speed double-layer CD/DVD reader/writer at your disposal in a more stationary desktop form factor.
You may install this upgrade yourself (an installation guide is included with the drive) or, if you are not comfortable with working on your Mac mini, you may have the product professionally installed into your computer by MCE Technologies or one of our worldwide Authorized Upgrade Centers.
If you would like MCE to install the upgrade for you, we offer the following two options:
Please note that shipping times are in reference to business days (weekend days are not included in these times). The $99 Supreme OptiBay Upgrade Service is available only to customers with a Ship To address located in the continental 48 United Sates.
- With the Supreme OptiBay Installation Service ($99), MCE will overnight you a shipping package and overnight return shipping label that you may use to send your computer to the MCE Service Center for upgrade. Once MCE has performed the upgrade(s), usually within 1-3 business days, MCE will ship the computer back to you according to the shipping option selected at the time the order was placed.
- With the Standard OptiBay Installation Service ($49), once you order the MCE upgrade online here, you make arrangements to ship your computer to the MCE Service Center at the address shown below using packaging that you supply. It's suggested that you use the computer's original packaging, or comparably protective packaging. Once MCE has performed the upgrade(s), usually within 1-3 business days, MCE will ship the computer back to you according to the shipping option selected at the time the order was placed using the same packaging in which we received the computer.
- High Performance Spindle Speeds up to 7200RPM
- Compatible with all versions of Mac OS through 10.10 (Yosemite)
- S.M.A.R.T. Status Compliant
- Sets up easily using Apple's Disk Utility program
- Can be set up as a single volume, partitioned, or made part of RAID array
- Mac mini
- OptiBay Bare Enclosure with SATA Hard Drive Interface requires a 2.5" SATA hard drive or SSD drive up to 12.5mm in height.
- MCE OptiBay Hard Drive or OptiBay Enclosure for your own 2.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive or SSD
- USB Enclosure for your original SuperDrive (Optional)
- Apple DVD Player Activator Software
- User's Guide
- Installation Toolkit
The procedure to follow if you choose to have MCE perform the installation:
- Select from the options above and place your order with us here online, or by calling 800-500-0622. International customers, please call 909-599-3105.
- As with any major upgrade to your computer, it is wise to back up any important data from your computer's internal hard drive before having the upgrade performed on the computer.
- If applicable, disable any password protection that is enabled on your computer.
- If you are running Mac OS X, write down the username and password if necessary for login and include this in the package you send.
- Pack up your computer. Include the AC adapter for your Mac mini. Also include username and password info if necessary for logging in to the computer. Suitable packaging consists of either the computer's original box and padding or a comparably protective package. Do not send the computer in any of the slim boxes that many of the major shipping companies offer, as these do not provide sufficient protection for your laptop. If you no longer have the original box, FedEx sells a laptop-shipping package, specifically designed for shipping laptop computers, at any of their staffed locations.
- Send the computer to the address below. If you've selected the Standard Installation Service, you may send the unit to MCE by the courier of your choice. We do recommend using a courier service with which you can insure and track the progress of the shipment.
433 W Allen Ave, Ste. 112
San Dimas, CA 91773
attn: (your order number)
MCE telephone: (909) 599-3105