PRODUCT UPDATE October 16, 2014: YOSEMITE COMPATIBILITY: The MCE OptiBay has been certified to be fully compatible with Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite), and all prior Mac OS X versions, and includes our updated, Yosemite compatible, OptiBay Utility software.
The MCE OptiBay Drive replaces the internal DVD Drive (SuperDrive) of your Apple iMac with a high performance SATA hard drive or Solid State Drive (SSD) providing up to 1 TB of additional internal hard drive space!
Optical Drive Options
Available for $20.00 is our USB 2.0 Enclosure for your iMac's SuperDrive (DVD Drive)! With it you will be able to easily install your iMac SuperDrive into the slim, portable, specially designed USB 2.0 Enclosure and use with iTunes, iDVD, Finder Burning, Mac OS and software installs, etc. just as you did before! The enclosure powers from your USB ports and installing your iMac's internal SuperDrive into it is a breeze! You can also choose to include our ready-made Portable 8x USB 2.0 Double-Layer SuperDrive with your OptiBay Hard Drive. This slim external SuperDrive provides you with a bootable, portable, bus-powered drive that is just as compatible with iTunes, iDVD and Finder Burning as before.1 You can use it to load system software, install applications, as well as play and burn DVD's and CD's. Use the drive only when YOU need it... and put it away when you don't!
You can also choose the MCE Desktop 24x DVD-/+R/RW USB 2.0/eSATA "SuperDrive" if you would like the convenience of a higher-speed double-layer CD/DVD reader/writer at your disposal in a more stationary desktop form factor.
You may install this upgrade yourself or you may have the product professionally installed into your computer by MCE Technologies or one of our worldwide Authorized Upgrade Centers.
If it is more convenient, you may also purchase this upgrade from and have it installed by an MCE Authorized Upgrade Center which will also generally charge a service fee, but may allow you to be without your computer for a shorter time since they can usually perform the upgrade for you while you wait. Call them for details.
1Apple's DVD Player application will not launch when there is no internal SuperDrive present in the system. In order to playback DVD movies from an external SuperDrive we have developed our own DVD Player Activator software, included with your OptiBay. This software, run one time only, allows Apple's DVD Player application to launch and play your DVD movies directly from your external SuperDrive just as though it were still internal.
- Solid State Disk (SSD) Compatible
- High Performance Hard Drives of up to 2TB available
- S.M.A.R.T. Status Compliant
- Sets up easily using Apple's Disk Utility program
- Can be set up as a single volume, partitioned, or made part of RAID array
- External USB 2.0 SuperDrive Enclosure is bootable and compatible with iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, iTunes, iPhoto, and Finder Burning
- 2LIFETIME WARRANTY on OptiBay Enclosure. Three-year warranty on hard drive or SSD.
- iMac (Aluminum), iMac (Intel / White), or iMac G5
- OptiBay Bare Enclosure with SATA Hard or SSD Drive Interface requires a 2.5" SATA hard or solid state drive 12.5mm or less in height.
- Portable USB 2.0 SuperDrive Enclosure requires two available USB ports
- MCE OptiBay Hard Drive/Solid State Drive or OptiBay Bare Enclosure for use with your own 2.5" SATA Hard or Solid State Drive
- Apple DVD Player Activator Software
1The Apple DVD Player application is designed to not launch when there is no internal SuperDrive present in the system. In order to playback DVD movies from an external SuperDrive we have developed our own Apple DVD Player Activator software, and it is included with the OptiBay. This software, run one time only, allows the Apple DVD Player program to launch and play your DVD movies directly from your external SuperDrive just as though it were still internal.