The MCE OptiBay replaces the internal SuperDrive (DVD Drive) in your non-unibody MacBook Pro 17-inch or PowerBook G4 12", 15" or 17" with a high performance hard drive or SSD (Solid State Drive) providing up to 2 TB of additional internal storage space!
Optical Drive Options
With the available $29.99 Portable USB 2.0 SuperDrive Enclosure Kit for the SuperDrive removed from the MacBook Pro you will transform your SuperDrive into an ultra-portable, external, bootable, bus-powered SuperDrive compatible with iTunes, iDVD and Finder Burning... just as before.1 And you're able to use this drive when and where you need it.
You can also choose the MCE External DVD-/+R/RW FireWire/USB 2.0 "SuperDrive" to instead have the functionality of a higher-speed double-layer CD/DVD reader/writer at your disposal in a more stationary desktop form factor.
You may install this upgrade yourself (an installation guide is included with the drive) or, if you are not comfortable with working on your laptop, you may have the product professionally installed into your computer by MCE Technologies or one of our worldwide Authorized Upgrade Centers.
If you would like MCE to install the upgrade for you, we offer the following two options:
Please note that shipping times are in reference to business days (weekend days are not included in these times). The $99 Supreme OptiBay Upgrade Service is available only to customers with a Ship To address located in the continental 48 United Sates.
- With the Supreme OptiBay Installation Service ($149), MCE will overnight you a shipping package and overnight return shipping label that you may use to send your computer to the MCE Service Center for upgrade. Once MCE has performed the upgrade(s), usually within 1-3 business days, MCE will ship the computer back to you according to the shipping option selected at the time the order was placed.
- With the Standard OptiBay Installation Service ($49), once you order the MCE upgrade online here, you make arrangements to ship your computer to the MCE Service Center at the address shown below using packaging that you supply. It's suggested that you use the computer's original packaging, or comparably protective packaging. Once MCE has performed the upgrade(s), usually within 1-3 business days, MCE will ship the computer back to you according to the shipping option selected at the time the order was placed using the same packaging in which we received the computer.
If it is more convenient, you may also purchase this upgrade from and have it installed by an MCE Authorized Upgrade Center which will also generally charge a service fee, but may allow you to be without your computer for a shorter time since they can usually perform the upgrade for you while you wait. Call them for details.
- For use with SSDs or High Performance Hard Drives with Spindle Speeds of 5400RPM and 7200RPM
- S.M.A.R.T. Status Compliant
- Compatible with all versions of Mac OS
- Sets up easily using Apple's Disk Utility program
- Can be set up as a single volume, partitioned, or made part of RAID array
- Optional external USB 2.0 enclosure for the original SuperDrive compatible with iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, iTunes, iPhoto, and Finder Burning
- First-generation (non-Unibody) MacBook Pro 17-inch or PowerBook G4 12", 15" or 17" with working optical drive-logic board connector
- OptiBay Bare Enclosure with SATA Hard Drive Interface requires a 2.5" SATA hard drive 12.5mm or less in height.
- Portable USB 2.0 Optical Drive Enclosure Kit requires an optical drive from a MacBook Pro 17-inch or PowerBook G4 and an available USB port
- MCE OptiBay Hard Drive or OptiBay Bare Enclosure
- Installation and User's Guide
- Installation Toolkit
The procedure to follow if you choose to have MCE perform the installation:
- Select from the options above and place your order with us here online, or by calling 800-500-0622. International customers, please call 909-599-3105.
- As with any major upgrade to your computer, it is wise to back up any important data from your computer's internal hard drive before having the upgrade performed on the computer.
- If applicable, disable any password protection that is enabled on your computer.
- If you are running Mac OS X, write down the username and password if necessary for login and include this in the package you send.
- Pack up your computer. Include the battery installed in the computer, but not the AC adapter. Also include username and password info if necessary for logging in to the computer. Suitable packaging consists of either the computer's original box and padding or a comparably protective package. Do not send the computer in any of the slim boxes that many of the major shipping companies offer, as these do not provide sufficient protection for your laptop. If you no longer have the original box, FedEx sells a laptop-shipping package, specifically designed for shipping laptop computers, at any of their staffed locations.
- Send the computer to the address below. If you've selected the Standard Installation Service, you may send the unit to MCE by the courier of your choice. We do recommend using a courier service with which you can insure and track the progress of the shipment.
433 W Allen Ave, Ste. 112
San Dimas, CA 91773
attn: (your order number)
MCE telephone: (909) 599-3105
1 Apple DVD Video Player utility will not recognize a DVD video inserted into any external player if an internal SuperDrive is not present in the system. The included Apple DVD Player Activator Software allows Apple DVD Player to be used to play DVDs from the external SuperDrive.