The MCE OptiBay Drive replaces the internal DVD Drive or SuperDrive of your Apple XServe with a high performance SATA hard drive or Solid State Drive (SSD) providing up to 1 TB of additional internal hard drive space!
Optical Drive Options
For a limited time we are including for FREE our new USB 2.0 Enclosure for your XServe DVD Drive or SuperDrive! Now, for no extra cost, easily install your XServe SuperDrive into our slim, portable, specially designed USB 2.0 Enclosure and use with iTunes, iDVD, Finder Burning, Mac OS and software installs, etc. just as you did before! The enclosure powers from your USB ports and installing your XServe SuperDrive into it is a breeze! You can also choose to include our ready-made Portable 8x USB 2.0 Double-Layer SuperDrive with your OptiBay Hard Drive. This slim external SuperDrive provides you with a bootable, portable, bus-powered drive that is just as compatible with iTunes, iDVD and Finder Burning as before.1 You can use it to load system software, install applications, as well as play and burn DVD's and CD's. Use the drive only when YOU need it... and put it away when you don't!
You can also choose the MCE Desktop 20x DVD-/+R/RW FireWire/USB 2.0 "SuperDrive" if you would like the convenience of a higher-speed double-layer CD/DVD reader/writer at your disposal in a more stationary desktop form factor.
You may install this upgrade yourself or you may have the product professionally installed into your computer by MCE Technologies or one of our worldwide Authorized Upgrade Centers.
If it is more convenient, you may also purchase this upgrade from and have it installed by an MCE Authorized Upgrade Center which will also generally charge a service fee, but may allow you to be without your computer for a shorter time since they can usually perform the upgrade for you while you wait. Call them for details.
- Solid State Disk (SSD) Compatible
- High Performance Spindle Speeds of 5400RPM and 7200RPM
- S.M.A.R.T. Status Compliant
- Sets up easily using Apple's Disk Utility program
- Can be set up as a single volume, partitioned, or made part of RAID array
- Optional external USB 2.0 SuperDrive compatible with iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, iTunes, iPhoto, and Finder Burning
- XServe G4, XServe G5, XServe (Intel)
- OptiBay Bare Enclosure with SATA Hard or SSD Drive Interface requires a 2.5" SATA hard or solid state drive 12.5mm or less in height.
- Portable USB 2.0 SuperDrive requires two available USB ports
- MCE OptiBay Hard Drive/Solid State Drive or OptiBay Bare Enclosure for use with your own 2.5" SATA Hard or Solid State Drive
- Apple DVD Player Activator Software
1The Apple DVD Player application is designed to not launch when there is no internal SuperDrive present in the system. In order to playback DVD movies from an external SuperDrive we have developed our own Apple DVD Player Activator software, and it is included with the OptiBay. This software, run one time only, allows the Apple DVD Player program to launch and play your DVD movies directly from your external SuperDrive just as though it were still internal.