The MCE OptiBay Hard Drive replaces your the internal SuperDrive or Combo drive of your PowerBook G4 (Aluminum or Titanium) with a high performance hard drive providing up to 500GB of additional internal hard drive space!
Optical Drive Options
In order to maintain the CD/DVD functionality of the original internal optical drive replaced by the OptiBay Hard Drive, one can choose to include a Portable USB 2.0 Optical Drive Enclosure Kit into which one can install the optical drive extracted from the PowerBook. This slim external USB 2.0 enclosure transforms your optical drive into a bus-powered optical drive just as compatible with iTunes, iDVD and Finder Burning as before. And you're able to use this drive when and where you need it.
You can also choose the MCE External Desktop 24x DVD-/+R/RW USB 2.0 / eSATA "SuperDrive" to instead have the functionality of a higher-speed double-layer CD/DVD reader/writer at your disposal.
You may install the OptiBay Hard Drive yourself (an installation guide is included with the drive) or, if you are not comfortable with working on your PowerBook*, you may have the upgrade professionally installed into your computer by MCE Technologies or one of our worldwide Authorized Upgrade Centers.
If you would like MCE to install the upgrade for you, we offer the following two options:
Please note that shipping times are in reference to business days (weekend days are not included in these times). The Supreme OptiBay Upgrade Service is available only to customers with a Ship To address located in the continental 48 United Sates.
- With the Supreme OptiBay Installation Service ($149 for 12-inch PowerBook; $99 for 15/17-inch PowerBook), MCE will overnight you a shipping package and overnight return shipping label that you may use to send your computer to the MCE Service Center for upgrade. Once MCE has performed the upgrade(s), usually within 1-3 business days, MCE will ship the computer back to you according to the shipping option selected at the time the order was placed.
- With the Standard OptiBay Installation Service ($99 for 12-inch PowerBook; $49 for 15/17-inch PowerBook), once you order the MCE upgrade online here, you make arrangements to ship your computer to the MCE Service Center at the address shown below using packaging that you supply. It's suggested that you use the computer's original packaging, or comparably protective packaging. Once MCE has performed the upgrade(s), usually within 1-3 business days, MCE will ship the computer back to you according to the shipping option selected at the time the order was placed using the same packaging in which we received the computer.
If it is more convenient, you may also purchase this upgrade from and have it installed by an MCE Authorized Upgrade Center which will also generally charge a service fee, but may allow you to be without your computer for a shorter time since they can usually perform the upgrade for you while you wait. Call them for details.
- Capacities up to 500GB
- High Performance Spindle Speeds of 5400RPM and 7200RPM
- S.M.A.R.T. Status Compliant
- Sets up easily using Apple's Disk Utility program
- Can be set up as a single volume, partitioned, or made part of RAID array
- Optional external enclosure for removed optical drive
- PowerBook G4 with working optical drive-logic board connector
- OptiBay Bare Enclosure with IDE Hard Drive Interface requires a 2.5" IDE/PATA hard drive 9.5mm or less in height.
- OptiBay Bare Enclosure with SATA Hard Drive Interface requires a 2.5" SATA hard drive 9.5mm or less in height. Please note that this is not the same type of (IDE) hard drive required for this system's standard internal hard drive.
- Portable USB 2.0 Optical Drive Enclosure Kit requires an optical drive from a PowerBook G4 and an available USB port
- MCE OptiBay Hard Drive or OptiBay Bare Enclosure
- Installation Instructions
- Installation Toolkit
- User's Guide
* Note for 12-inch PowerBook G4 owners: MCE does not include an installation guide for the PowerBook G4 12-inch, and so highly recommends that your drive be professionally installed by a qualified technician. The installation of the MCE OptiBay Hard drive into the 12-inch PowerBook G4 involves the removal of some 40 plus screws and parts and is not for the faint of heart. Only an experienced technician should attempt this upgrade into the 12-inch PowerBook G4.
The procedure to follow if you choose to have MCE perform the installation:
- Select from the options above and place your order with us here online, or by calling 800-500-0622. International customers, please call 949-458-0800.
- As with any major upgrade to your computer, it is wise to back up any important data from your computer's internal hard drive before having the upgrade performed on the computer.
- If applicable, disable any password protection that is enabled on your computer.
- If you are running Mac OS X, write down the username and password if necessary for login and include this in the package you send.
- Pack up your computer. Include the battery installed in the computer, but not the AC adapter. Also include username and password info if necessary for logging in to the computer. Suitable packaging consists of either the computer's original box and padding or a comparably protective package. Do not send the computer in any of the slim boxes that many of the major shipping companies offer, as these do not provide sufficient protection for your laptop. If you no longer have the original box, FedEx sells a laptop-shipping package, specifically designed for shipping laptop computers, at any of their staffed locations.
- Send the computer to the address below. If you've selected the Standard Upgrade Service, you may send the unit to MCE by the courier of your choice. We do recommend using a courier service with which you can insure and track the progress of the shipment.
433 W Allen Ave, Ste. 112
San Dimas, CA 91773
attn: (your order number)
MCE telephone: (909) 599-3105